CALL FOR PROPOSALS
Auckland Art Fair 2016 saw the introduction of the ‘Projects’, an exhibition of around a dozen selected works installed in and around the Fair, in addition to the gallery stands. The Projects showcase the exceptional quality and diversity of art made in Aotearoa and the Pacific, and add another dimension to the Fair by including work with a less commercial, more conceptual focus. Pieces by acclaimed local and international artists are presented alongside works by emerging artists who do not yet have dealer gallery representation, but who show promise.
The curators for the sophomore iteration of the Projects at Auckland Art Fair 2018 are Gabriela Salgado (Artistic Director, Te Tuhi) and Francis McWhannell (independent). Rather than set a curatorial agenda, Salgado and McWhannell are putting out an open call. Artists are invited to submit proposals for works they wish to present in the context of the Fair. More than 10,000 people, including collectors, curators and art-lovers, attend the Fair over the five day period.
- Proposals should be 250–500 words in length and are to include at least two images.
- Works can be in any medium (e.g. painting, sculpture, photography, video, performance), and can be intended for display inside or outside the venue, The Cloud on Princes Wharf; however, they must be robust enough to withstand display in the busy environment of the Fair.
- Works can be pre-existing, or can be made especially for the Projects.
- Applicants are responsible for covering the costs of production, installation, removal, and insurance.
- Galleries and institutions are encouraged to support an artist of their choice in putting forward a work.
Proposals for the Projects have now closed.
Auckland Art Fair and the Projects will run from Wednesday 23 May to Sunday 27 May 2018. Installation will take place on Tuesday 22 May.
PROUDLY SUPPORTED BY: